Sunday, August 26, 2007

Something different

Just as a change from the usual, I've just finished reading these two books and would heartily recommend them to you all. Both are based on true stories.


Jennifer Donnelly is an American-born writer (the US title of the book is 'A Northern Light'), but I'll forgive her that! The story is set in the early 1900's in the Adirondack, revolves round an infamous murder which actually occurred there and is told from the viewpoint of an aspiring young female writer. I was hooked from the first page.

Julian Barnes is a 61 year old English-born writer, but I'll forgive him that as well! I found this book a bit less engaging at the start; it continually switches back and forth between Arthur and George. I am however glad I persevered as it drew me in .

3 comments:

Katya said...

When I saw your entry yesterday about the plant, I Googled it to see if it is grown here, but found little information. Your entry actually showed up in the top 5 of my search!!!!

I looked at information about Jennifer Donnelly. She attended the University of Rochester, which is only about 50 miles from here. The book looks like a good one and one that my daughter might enjoy as well.

I love the Adirondacks region. It is so wild and "uncivilized". Funny...when we mention that we live in NY, everyone automatically thinks of NYC! In all actuality, most of NY is rather rural and not at all like the city!!!

Now I need to look up info regarding the other book!

Thanks for the heads up!

Rebecca Leonard said...

Ooh, thanks for the info about Jennifer Connelly's book! I have just finished my first Adirondack kids book and am working on more. I just bookmooch.com'd the book. Thanks again!

An Honest Man said...

Both, I have to admit to a lack of internal US Geographical knowledge. If I hadn't read the book and then started looking, I'd never have known whereabouts Andirondacks was. Mind you I also be stretched to locate some of the individual States on the map!