Thursday, July 26, 2007

Kilmarnock

I had to spend a few hours in Kilmarnock yesterday whilst my car was in for a service.

I took this photograph of the steeple of the Old High Kirk. The church was built between 1731 and 1734 as the Chapel of Ease to house the overflow congregation from the Laigh Kirk. The original building did not have a steeple and this was erected a little later (I can find no specific date, but it seems probable that it was sometime between 1734 and 1799),




From this photo it is not possible to see how plain the exterior of the building is, but one of the claims to fame is for the interior set of 23 stain glass windows, the designs for which were created by William and J.J. Keir (known as the Keir Brothers) in the 1860s. I've included a screenshot of one of the windows on the Old High Kirk website - to see all of them select 'Church Windows' from the dropdown box on the left side of their main page.

No comments: