Monday, May 14, 2007

Birds - of the feathered kind



We went walking in Culzean Country Park this morning doing some bird watching. I took this photograph at the swan pond in order to capture the four visible species: Mallard, Cormorant, Gull and Grey Heron (it is much more difficult to spot). There are also 2 Moorhens with chicks and 2 female Mallards with ducklings, but I had to use the binoculars to see them.

The weather was excellent and the Park very quiet, so we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I've posted the all the photos on Flickr (including one of Arran).

3 comments:

Katya said...

Waterbirds are so much fun to watch. They are so graceful and beautiful! I don't know if you have ever checked out my blog,(lifeinthebristolwood.blogspot.com)but a few days ago, I entered some cute pictures of Canada Geese there...I could not resist the little ones! As I read about Canada Geese, I looked at maps of where they are located, and it looks as though they might live in or visit? Scotland? Is the heron perched on the left side of the log? We often see Great Blue Herons flying overhead. Very impressive birds.

Katya said...

Eeks! I was just thinking...I wrote this a while ago, when I suddenly wondered if I actually wrote the term "waterbirds"!!!!! WHERE is my mind? Please forgive me. Should have said WATERFOWL!!!!! Ugh. Gonna be a verrrrry long! day, methinks!

An Honest Man said...

I'd only class the duck as a waterfowl, the cormorant and gull I'd say were seabirds; so waterbirds isn't that bad a description.

The heron is right beside the far bank to the left of the duck, midway between a white tree and a fallen log of wood.

We do have Canada Geese over here, an introduced species, but I prefer the pink-footed goose.