Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Greenan Castle




Greenan Castle was built in the 15th century on the site of an ancient iron age fort. It's perched on an overhanging rockface, so at some time it will collapse onto the shore. However it seems good for a few years yet.

Some researchers are said to believe that the original fort may well have been an Arthurian stronghold and one of the possible sites of Camelot.

Mind you I haven't heard anyone suggest that Queen Elizabeth the first of England ever slept here!!

[Duffy, I promise you that I'll take a photograph of Ayr when it's raining - if that ever happens.]

4 comments:

Carrie Nichols said...

Just wanted to let you know I'm enjoying Ayre and your commentary.

Christine McIntosh said...

I don't think it ever rains down your way - I look downriver and see the blue sky while we're glooming under cloud.

An Honest Man said...

The good are favoured......

The Music-Maker said...

And the even-better are rained on ha ha